Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Searching for a rental in Tx

First of all, let me tell you about our house/rental hunting trip. We started looking for a rental before Thanksgiving. During our Thanksgiving stay with our good friends the Quispe's we were very informed as to what side of town we want to live in and what area's to stay away from. A week later Vern started his new job and our house hunting began. We had the help of a realtor from the Church and a few friends that we knew from Purdue. We picked out approximately 10 homes in the school system of our choice and narrowed it down to our top three. When we agreed on one we started the process of renting it. We thought we had it since a week went by and nothing changed. Then we got the dreadful call that the family decided to rent it out to a niece. So I rushed back to El Paso only to find out that our other two choices had rented out over the weekend. That day I looked at about 8 more homes with the younger 2 kids. Thankfully, Amber watched the older three for me that day. I picked out the one of my choice and headed home. Unfortunately, I got lost and by the time I was headed in the right direction Vern was getting off of work so we went to see the house together. We put a deposit on it and thought we were good to go. The next morning the realtor called and told us that the house already had a deposit on it. UGHH. So, we suggested our second choice from our second trip. That house wanted an unrealistic dog deposit of 3000.00! (I think they wanted to put new carpet in after we left.) Now we are down to only a few days and the week was over. We asked the realtor to put down our deposit on another choice and the homeowner decided she didn't want to rent it out to a family with dogs (even though it said dogs were ok) By now, it is Friday and the choices are slim-pickin. Our last choice would work but it was only 1500 sqft. We currently are in 1550sqft so I didn't mind the size difference. They questioned the amount of children we had and said no way. Since we were out of houses Vern decided to drive around the neighborhoods that we liked over the weekend. He looked at a few and found one that was perfect. It is 1600sqft so we will love the extra 50 that we are gaining. It is in a cul-de-sac and around the corner from the Middle School while the Elementary School is about a 15 minute walk. We know this is a done deal because Vern has the keys in hand. I can't wait to see what Vern picked out when we move in on Sat! I will post pics as soon as I can.

2 comments:

Ber said...

I CANNOT wait to see pics of your new house! Merry Christmas Eve, and I'm wearing my 'I love Edward' shirt today..it's red, it works :) Miss you!

Pfeil Pfamily said...

You will have to come down as soon as you can! ;0) Hope you are having a good time with your family! Merry Christmas Eve too!